How to Use OBS to Record on PC or Mac – Ever had a feeling of regret in your gut when you played a game well but couldn’t record for your memorabilia? Or maybe you’re thinking about creating your stream if you find yourself better at playing games. Well, we’re going to talk about a tool that will help you not to miss out on any of those from now on- OBS Studio.
OBS Studio is a tool used for streaming and recording purposes. Earlier known as Open Broadcaster Software, this free open source software is one of the great tools available out there. If you need to record your gameplay, screen or stream online, then this tool can be of great help. OBS Studio is a very easy-to-use tool that lets you stream to various platforms such as Twitch, Youtube, etc. You don’t have to purchase the software as it is entirely free. Its free availability and features have made it popular among the streamers.
Read Also: Best Ps3 Games: Exclusive Collection of 2019
But if you’re using the software for the very first time, then you might have a little difficulty in understanding its features and functionalities. So, in case it is extremely grueling to know how it works, then you need not worry about it. This article will help you to get familiar with this software. We’ll simplify all the intricate details required to know how to use OBS to record as well as stream.
Read Also: How to Program an RCA Universal Remote?
Installing OBS Studio
Follow the given step-by-step procedure to know how to install OBS and use it. Before we proceed further, you should know that it is available for all the operating systems such as Windows, Linux, or macOS. Plus, it is free of cost, so you can modify the code as per your needs. For instance, here we are performing the task on the Windows version to guide you through the path.
- The first step is the same as that required for the installation of any software on your system setup. Just download the OBS Studio from its official website.
How to Use OBS Studio 2020
- When you right-click on its icon on the desktop, you will see a “Run as administrator” option.
- Open the “Settings” option present in the right-hand corner at the bottom when you open the software, and then open the “Video” section from the menu on the left. This will help you to choose your preferences for the streaming purpose. Then only you shall proceed to connect it to any of your streaming services.
- Now, first, you need to ensure that you have a decent internet connection (you can find out the upload rate by using any speed test available online). After clearing this stage, change the resolution of the stream and if it concerns you, streaming platforms like Youtube, Twitch, and Facebook will usher you through the process.
- Select the video BitRate as required. Now if you’re not aware of these things, then it is better to let the OBS configuration wizard guide you through it. You can find it out in the “Tools” tab in the main window of the OBS software. The default settings can also work fine for you if you want to stream.
- If you observe that your stream is lagging, just reduce the bitrate, resolution and the frame rate.
How to Use OBS to Record Screen
For the screen recording purpose, follow the steps given below. It won’t consume much time.
- OBS Studio is present in the “All Apps” section of the “Start” menu in the case of Windows and the “Applications” folder in case of macOS.
- Now you need to check for the list of sources available inside the software. It will appear when you click on the “+” symbol under the “Sources” option present in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- Click on the “Display Capture” option and select the “Create/Select Source” window and click on OK.
- Then you’d see some options for the screen resolution. If not necessary, leave the settings as it is or else change it according to your needs. Click OK and you will come back to the main OBS Studio screen.
- There are two options available for the volume in the “Mixers” tab. Either choose the option of Desktop audio or select the Mic/Aux option.
- Now you’re ready to go for the “Start Recording” option and click on “Stop Recording” when your work is done.
- You can access the saved videos in the “Videos” folder. You can try changing the saving location by opening “Settings” at the bottom of OBS, click on “Browse” and then select a different folder of your choice.
How to Use OBS Studio for Streaming
The streaming service is available in the OBS Studio only after the permission. So, you need to authorize your streaming account. And how will do it? Let’s see.
- Open “Settings” and change it to the Stream” tab. Now select the “Service” option and click on the suitable choice.
- There are several options present in the “Service” too- Youtube, Twitch, etc. Select one of them.
- Now it is time to obtain a streaming key service. All you need to do is open the “Stream Key” page on the “Settings” page of Twitch. Go to the “Channel” option.
- Copy and paste it into the “Stream Key” box in the OBS Studio.
- If your platform is Youtube, open the “Live Streaming” and select the “Stream now” tab in Youtube’s Creator Studio.
- Now you will get the Stream key in the “Encoder Setup” section at the bottom of the page. Copy and Paste it the same you did in the case of Twitch.
Mega Genius Intelligence Consultant.
Read Also: All Cuphead Bosses Names-A Quick Overview
Hurray!! Finally, you have completed your setup for streaming and recording screen purpose and there are a lot of other customizations available to fulfill your needs. Now you must have understood the basics of the software which will help you to initially use the software.